Gerardo Martino is prepared to end Carlos Tevez s international exile after taking over as Argentina coach.
Martino was named as Alejandro Sabella s successor on Tuesday and returns to the game following a disappointing season as Barcelona boss.
Tevez has not featured for his country since 2011 and Sabella s decision to overlook the Juventus striker prompted talk of a rift between the two.
Sabella denied falling out with Tevez and Martino revealed at his first press conference as the new manager that the slate would be wiped clean in a new era for Argentina following their World Cup final defeat to Germany last month.
All the Argentine footballers will have the doors open to them,” Martino said.
Tevez-Sabella? The decision was purely on footb…
Villarreal have told French giants Lyon it will take a major offer to prise Karl Toko Ekambi away from El Madrigal this month.
With Memphis Depay injured and seemingly out for the rest of the Ligue 1 season, Lyon are seeking a replacement to strengthen their attacking options.
Ekambi, who previously played in France with Paris FC, Sochaux and Angers, has caught Lyon s attention and Spanish newspaper AS reported an initial €12million offer has been turned down.
That led Villarreal boss Javi Calleja to say on Thursday that any club wanting the striker must consider his release clause, which is said to be over €60million.
There has been real interest, Calleja said in a news conference, according to Marca.
The player has not trained in recent da…
Russian powerhouse Zenit St Petersburg have officially approached Serie A giants AS Roma over the possible summer deal for defender Kostas Manolas.
Sky Sport Italia reports that Zenit have submitted an offer in excess of €30 million for the Greek international who could be allowed to leave Giallorossi during the summer transfer window. AS Roma were reluctant to sell their first-choice defender at an earlier date despite plenty of interest for Manolas with the reason being a clause in the player’s contract which obliged the Italians to pay a certain percentage if Manolas was to be sold before a certain date.
This is why AS Roma previously turned down similar proposals from Arsenal and Chelsea during the past two transfer windows.
Zenit representatives are tho…
Brazil coach Mano Menezes has backed recalled midfielder Ronaldinho to flourish at international level.
The two-time FIFA World Player of the Year has been included in Brazil s squad for their friendly with Ghana at Craven Cottage on Monday, 10 months after his last international appearance.
Ronaldinho has scored 12 times in 18 appearances for Flamengo in the Brazilian Serie A this campaign and Menezes said the 31-year-old was capable of playing at the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
Yes, there s a long time to go yet but a player like Ronaldinho has got the qualities we need, Menezes said.
It s about playing well at this time and he s been doing that with Flamengo so I do believe he is able to play at the World Cup.
Menezes said the former Barcelona mid…